Yay!! Finally a real free weekend!! Also, Happy Valentine's Day! Mine started out amazingly with 2 exams. *roll eyes* I am so sleep deprived, but currently baking at home :) Haven't touched my oven or my kitchenaid in too long!
The bf and I are going to cook together, because I just don't want to sit in a packed restaurant filled with lovey dovey couples. You know??! The only thing I baked where these EKG cookies. Anyway, the real Vday holiday is tomorrow, when the Valentine's chocolates are on SALE!! Yes!!
Here is a recipe for a traditional steamed cake made with Korean Rice wine, Makgeolli or 막걸리. I grew up on this stuff when I lived in Korea! The cake is very soft and rises amazingly, with a slight boozy taste. Oh, I feel so nostalgic...
Makgeolli Sool Bbang - 술빵makes a 9 inch cake
1 cup makgeolli, korean sweet rice wine (preferably newly opened)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking power
1-2 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk the makgeolli, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar until slightly frothy
- Sift flour and baking power directly into the bowl and fold in until totally blended together. (no over mixing though!)
- Place a cheesecloth onto your steamer basket and pour in the batter. Scatter sesame seeds over the top is using.
- Cover and steam on medium heat for 35-40mins, or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean
- Serve immediately - best when warm and fresh