I love going to brunch, but not so much the brunch prices. I mean, seriously, a carton of eggs costs $3, and you're going to charge me $3 for ONE poached egg?! Sometimes, the long lines are just not quite worth it, especially now that the earth is about close to the temperature of molten lava on Mars. So, I bring you a classic combo in the form of waffles. Everyone loves a good PB&J, but what about in a fluffy waffle form?
I say, stay at home! Avoid thinking about where to go and what to eat and make some PB&J waffles. You're bound to have all these ingredients handy, unless you don't have a waffle maker...then you can make them into pancakes! (I don't blame ya.. I only got it last year after thinking about it for 10 years :P). Hear hear for the next weekend :D!
Grape Jelly Syrup
1/2 apple (pink lady or fuji) diced
1 cup red seedless grapes, cut in half
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cornstarch (if needed)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup milk
- Place diced apples and grapes into a small pot and cook over high heat. Add sugar, and once it sizzles, turn down to low heat. Simmer for 30 mins
- Smash softening fruit intermittently. Add vanilla and cornstarch if needed to the thickened syrup. Take off heat and set aside
- For the waffles, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Melt butter and peanut butter for 30s in the microwave. In a medium bowl, mix cooled melted peanut butter mix, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Mix dry and wet waffle ingredients and cook according to waffle machine
- Drizzle syrup and sprinkle crushed peanuts. Serve warm.