I'm currently on inpatient pediatrics, so I haven't had much time to update anything. I feel like I haven't posted in a while, so I just wanted to say hi! haha.
Nothing really interesting on my end. I'm just seeing sick kids all day and all night. I've realized that kids are disease dispensers... I definitely got sick twice even if I sterilize my hands a gazillion times :( I've also been wearing scrubs a lot, which just like sweatpants, will FOREVER EXPAND. They are super comfy, but you don't ever realize how many Oreos you've been putting straight to your muffin top until you try to wear "real" clothes. So deceptive... and a sign that I need to hit the gym :(
So obviously I made more cakes, because my scrub pants can still take up some more expanding :P I'm kind of in love with Vietnamese coffee. It's an intensely brewed coffee that is dripped into a glass with a huge spoonful of sweetened condensed milk mixed in. They are so good freshly brewed, but you can also buy instant coffee packets from any Asian supermarket. I used Nestle brand packets to make these cakes, and the coffee flavor is pretty strong! You'll want to make sure you brew extremely strong coffee or espresso to make the coffee-ness really stand out.
Anyhoo, I need to end my rant, grab coffee and get. back. to. work. :(
Also, don't you love the shape of these cakes? I got them as a gift from a lovely friend, and I've been dying to use them.
Vietnamese Coffee Cake
adapted from King Arthur Flour
makes 1 large 10" bundt or 8-10 mini bundts or 2 loaves
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup yogurt/sour cream
2 packets of vietnamese coffee mix (I bought this at an Asian supermarket)
3 tbsp instant coffee granules
~1/2 cup hot water (cooled)
Sweetened Condensed Milk Icing
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease molds or bundt pan
- In a small bowl, dissolve instant coffee and Vietnamese coffee mix with hot water and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add wet ingredients (eggs, oil, sourcream). Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Add in the cooled coffee mixture and beat for a minute
- Pour batter into prepared pan and level the surface of the batter.
- For my mini bundt molds, it took about 25-30 mins, but for a bundt pan about 60-65 mins. Check with a toothpick or chopstick stuck down the middle.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting it and letting it cool completely
- To make the frosting, just mix the ingredients together. If it needs more thinning add milk, if it needs to be thicker, add more powdered sugar. Pour over your cake!