You know those days when you think your day at work is going to be extremely short and you don't pack lunch or bring that many snacks...and suddenly you're there until way past dinner time. Today was just one of those days!! And, hypoglycemia people, makes you act like a crazy person. It's actually one of the most common cause of altered mental status in the ED, so we're required to check blood glucose levels on every altered patient that comes in. I started from hungry this afternoon, which quickly escalated to hangry, and then to almost borderline crazy.
Spicy Tomato Soupadapted from epicurious.com
1 jalapeño, coarsely diced (seeds included for spiciness)
1 thai bird's eye chili, diced (or substitute with another jalapeño)
1 medium white onion, coarsely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 can chicken or veggie broth
28 oz diced tomato (Italian)
1-2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
- In a sizable pot, heat up 1 tbsp olive oil and saute onions, chili peppers and garlic until onions are somewhat translucent (about 3-5mins)
- Drain 1/2 of the diced tomato liquid and then add it to the pot. Add chicken broth. Let that simmer for 35-45mins. Add cumin and Salt and pepper to taste
- Use an immersion blender or work in batches in a blender, blend all until smooth
- Let simmer for another 5-10mins. Taste and season again if needed
- Serve with sour cream and grilled cheese of course!